Saturday, May 09, 2009

Let's celebrate Mothers


Happy Mothers Day to all the amazing women whose nick name is any of the following:

“Ma, Mother, Mummy, Mommy, Mom, Mum…” basically, “mother” in any language. You are all fabulous, doing a great job and know that you mean the world to your children.


Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs I have ever had, since the payment is abundance of - pure love. And after being a full time mommy myself, I truly believe that all mothers are “working mothers" and their job does not end ever – not even after the kids go to bed or when they are away from her because a mother never quite leaves her children at home/ daycare/ babysitter - even when she doesn't take them along she is still always thinking about them. So here’s to all the mothers and mother like figures who have worked so so so very hard every day (and night) of their life to serve (their children) unconditionally!! Cheers to you all!!

I read this wonderful Quote by a writer named Rajneesh -

"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."

How very true – I believe it’s a God’s blessing to be a mother. As a woman I would have never realized the pleasure of loving someone unconditionally; never realized that I had the strength to sleep only couple of hours (if even that) every night and still have the sanity to care for an infant day and night; I would have never realized that nothing can warm my heart like when my child smiles back at me, that most precious birthday present is not another diamond but opening my eyes to the soft sound of my child singing “happy Birthday” to me. So here’s to our children who made us mothers and made us COMPLETE – Cheers!!

And last but not the least, here’s to MY MOM –

She was a petite woman (as some of you already know) but she had a heart so large that everybody's joys found welcoming abode in it, every ones sorrows found a hospitable accommodation in it .

Ma, I miss you every day of my life, your image is the deepest impression on my heart and your voice still resounds in me. You are like a never ending song of comfort, happiness and belonging-ness in my heart; the words of which I may sometimes forget but I always remember the tune.


Special thanks to hubby dear, for giving up their wife to be a mother first, for living with a woman who the kids sometimes (or should I say almost all the time) driving absolutely insane and crazy and far from being perfect and most of all accepting the new woman that emerges from sleeplessness, screaming kids, no time to shower, seen mostly in sweat-pants, cooking meals with either too much salt or too little sugar, who either sings a lullaby or yells or talks in sarcasm - basically a woman they didn't marry!! So to you dear hubby for accepting us with all our imperfections.

13 comments:

mansi said...

So wonderfully written didi....I really admire you for all the effort you put in for gauri and neel...They must be so proud for having a "mommy you"

mansi said...

and ya i must say your funny girl is my all time favorite and wid due permissions i want to state that my heart misses a beat everytime i see your latest crush smile....

Not so perfect mom of Neel & Gauri said...

Thanks mansi. I am just trying to be a mother and definitely I am not even close to what mummy or chachi were to us. But Gauri and Neel seem to like their crazy, not so perfect mommy anyway :o)
Plus they have a wonderful mausi (you) who is there to fill any gaps - right?

two 'lil weeds mama said...

What a beautiful post Pragati and gorgeous pictures of you all. Happy be-lated Mother's Day to you, hoping you had a beautiful day yesterday!

I love the quote you included here and of course any time you write about your Mom it so touches my heart as I wish she were still here for you. I know she is watching over you all and so proud of you.

You are not a bad mother for trying to teach your children properly... I think sometimes the 'rules' come more from the Mom b/c of the time we spend with the kids, especially staying home with them. I too find it hard to remember and try to have the balance of disciplinarian and 'fun' mom, but I'm game to continue trying. I don't think any child wants or expects perfectionism from us; I believe they love us no matter what!

xo xo xo pam

Not so perfect mom of Neel & Gauri said...

Thanks Pam.
I think of all the jobs, being a parent is the toughest, not because it take so much physical effort but because you have to be role models to these tiny people and someones life depends on your actions. I know that the kids love us no matter what, I just wish I had more patience more intelligence and knew "that" balance.
But I am so grateful for being given this opportunity to be Neel and Gauri's (crazy) mom!

Anupama said...

must say all your write ups are very beautiful. I don't know if I should be writing this - I remember aunty for her wonderful bread poha and the way she taught me to prepare the same. And even for taking care of me so well when I wasn't keeping too well one afternoon. Not just these but a lot more. I hope she can see from where ever she is, how I feel for her. Thank you for writing so beautiful and sharing it with all.
You, Gauri and Neel look beautiful as always.

Unknown said...

Thats a beautiful post in celebration of motherhood,Pragati.And you look so gorgeous, not sleep-deprived or grumpy,at all ;-)

Bhawna said...

Happy mother's Day.(Sorry, Little late) Ur posts always reflects ur heart or most importantly Heart of a mother. I can relate my feelings everytime u post in ur blog.Its always.. Oh! Thats true. With out any second thought u are really a good writer. Ur write-up are never artificial. Thanks for sharing.
Love to Neel ad Gauri.

Not so perfect mom of Neel & Gauri said...

Sara, Anupama and Bhawana, thanks for your compliments and kind words. I am glad you all liked the post. I do try to keep in honest and simple. Some day, when kids will grow up and act all grown up or teenager-ish, I will be able to read this myself and tell myself to be more patient with them, after they filled my life with so much love, joy and emotions beyond words. :o)
All you moms are always my source of inspiration, guidance and support. Thanks to all the mommy friends and family.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you bhabhi. You are wonderful and always giving in every role be it mother, a wife, a bhabhi(especially this one). I feel so fortunate to be a part of such a wonderful family and especially your co-sister. There have been lots of things to learn from you and still learning.

Kokil.

Bhawna said...

Long time no post...started missing what's going on with Neel and gauri ??

Not so perfect mom of Neel & Gauri said...

thanks tanu for your kind words. I am also so glad we are family. i am also learning from each one of you mothers every single day.

Bhawna, I am going to post some updates on us, soon.

Divya Goel said...

hey bobby.....though all the mothers have a beautiful heart but i must say you are the most beautiful mother i have ever seen.