Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hanuman ji please give me toilet paper

Tuesday night while I was trying to nurse Neel and sleep Gauri both at the same time, with lights turned off, to make it dark enough for Gauri to try to sleep (and stop playing with Neel, so he could also sleep), Gauri suddenly gets up and whispers in my ear – “I need to go potty”, and then we had the most interesting conversation of all times. Here is exactly how it went:

Gauri: “Mum I need to go Potty”
Me: “Are you sure?”
Gauri: “Yes, I have to”
Me: “Then go”
Gauri: “No, you take me”
Me: “I can’t I am nursing Neel”
Gauri: “Pleeeeeeease take me, please come with me”
Me: “No Gauri, I cant honey, just go…..you cant do it on your own, you are a big kid now”
Gauri: “but there’s Bandar(monkey) in the Bathroom”
Me: with a little stress in my voice “Gaaaaauriii – there is NOBandar, don’t make up things, just go if you have to”
Note: Somehow Gauri is scared of monkeys, and I really have no idea why and where did she get this in her head, but suddenly one day she stared saying –monkeys will hurt me…We were worried at first and asked her why she thinks so, but then we thought it probably is normal for kids her age to get the concept of being scared sometimes.
So anyway,
Gauri: “Will Hanuman ji ask Bandar to go away?”
Note:
As per Hindu mythology, Hanuman ji is an incarnation of God in the form of an Ape. He is considered the one who has the powers to take away all difficulties/ fight demons for anyone who prays unto Him
Me: “sure, yes He will”
Gauri steps down from the bed and stands at the door whispering
Hanuman ji open the door”
“please open the door for Gauri
Now with stress in the voice:
“Please open the door Hanuman ji
Hanuman ji – open the door for Gauri, I have to go potty”
I was trying to avoid talking since Neel was trying to fall asleep in my lap, but then I had to intervene between Gauri and her Hanuman ji conversation
Me: “Gauri Hanuman ji does not open the door, you open it and go”
So she finally did go.
After a few minutes I hear Gauri again:
Hanuman ji please give toilet paper to me”
Hanuman ji ??”
Hanuman ji I need toilet paper”
Hanuman ji please give toilet paper”
“Oh god - Hanuman ji please give me paper towel”
After asking Hanuman ji for several minutes, I guess Gauri took the Toilet paper own her own and very disappointed-ly came back to me. BY now Neel was asleep and I was free to talk to her.

Me: “Gauri are you okay, did your potty?”
Gauri: “yea, but Hanuman ji did not give me toilet paper mama”
Me: “Its Okay Gauri
Gauri: “I don’t think Hanuman ji can scare away the monkeys if he cant open the door and give toilet paper to me”!!

She was quite disappointed that night and I was half laughing and half wondering what and how am I to explain such complex things like “God” to an inquisitive kid like my little “Sweet-pea”.
She slept disappointed but I slept smiling thinking about this funny dialogue.

Since I have no pictures from that day, here are a couple of new ones of all of us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh God! Kids are so funny and entertaining. While reading the whole of it I just could not stop my laugh.
Wish I could meet and hug the two cuties. God bless them both.
It is a perfect family picture.

Baatein unkahi si said...

Thats so cute. Kids can make up so many things on their own. It's hard for us adults to even imagine at their level.
My li'l kiddoo keeps his little train under the pillow because apparently the train is sad and if he doesn't care for it, it will leave the home :-)

Not so perfect mom of Neel & Gauri said...

True, kids are so innocent and pure in their thinking and words that come out of their mouth make us want to hug them more and wish that their innocence be preserved for much long. I dont want Gauri (& Neel) to grow up so fast!

Bhawna said...

This is one of the interesting piece of conversation I ever heard, I'm sure even Hanumaanji must be very amused.
Kids, I wish they can be innocent like this always.

two 'lil weeds mama said...

Too sweet, and too funny the things we end up getting into @ night with these little ones. Glad that she DID end up going on her own, that's a big plus! The memories they are providing us with are too precious.

two 'lil weeds mama said...

love the new background!