Sunday, March 29, 2009

Welcome Spring - Holi hai...


You miss something when u don’t get it. All those years when I used to hide in my room to avoid colors, I now remember fondly and make efforts to re-live them (कोई लौटादे मेरे बीते हुए दिन …). I recall fondly the good old days when I used to play Holi….sweet Gujjiyas, the lip-smacking जलजीरा (cool-mint-drink), राइ का पानी, ठंडाई और भांग (almond-flavored-milk), chaant-pakore, abiir and gulal (dry colors), टेसू के फूल (yellow flowers used for coloring water), पानी के गुब्बारे (water balloons) and those रंग भरी पिचकारी (water sprinklers)… holi-ka-jalana (Holi-bon-fire) and nani ke ghar holi ka khaana (food at grandma's)…..ah those were the days!!

Now after almost 10 years of having nobody throwing colors on me here in the US, I am missing them all the more...

After having Gauri and Neel the significance of festivals has changed. Now I try to learn and understand how each of our festivals are celebrated in India (in our family – of course I never paid much attention to those details while growing up. Of course all those details I would arrogantly call as “un-necessary rituals, and of course I took so much for granted because mummy-papa would take care of all these details and we would simply be required to do very little and just enjoy the fun and the food…..)

I really want Neel and Gauri to know all our Indian traditions, the old tales of dadi-ma and the love people have for each other and how us Indians love to party and celebrate and know how to have a great time. I don’t want them to miss anything even if they are so so so far away from India.

So This year I planned a traditional holi party at our house, inviting friends and family. We had the traditional food and played with gulaal and wet (kids-friendly) colors. Gauri had so much fun, she keeps asking every now and then, when can she once again paint everyone’s faces with colors.

We had a wonderful time, thanks to all our friend and family and it was great way of welcoming the Spring finally.


Here’s a video from one of Hindi Movie’s, giving an idea of how we play Holi in India and specially Uttar Pradesh.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks you had a great holi..we had a great party too!!And you're right when in India I didn't want to enjoy holi that much,but yearn for it now!!

Bhawna said...

Mazza Aa gaya Pragati, wow looks like had a nice time on holi. Ur right here we want to celebrate all festivals for our kids to know what festivals are all about. I miss all festivity and fun here. Nice pictures.

Anupama said...

You are maintaining a wonderful blog. And by the way what did you eat during pregnancy. Gauri and Neel are so beautiful. You look stunning in holi snaps.

Nan M Gough said...

Love the pictures from your Holi celebrations! I think it is wonderful that you are introducing your children to the traditions you grew up with in India.

Your kids are so cute and they are getting so big! Hopefully we will see them when we visit Pam in the Fall. Take care and have a wonderful summer!

Nan

Not so perfect mom of Neel & Gauri said...

Thanks Nan. Yes I do want to introduce them to our culture and traditions since I personally value my roots. Even though we are far away from India and its easy to forget our traditions but I believe it will be very enriching to not only know the culture tehy will be growing up in but also culture their parents grew up in.
Yes we would LOVE to meet you and the kids whenever you come to CT. Do keep us posted, OK? And send me some pics of the newcomer and Amilia.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Mexican food restaurants" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

http://www.foodnrecipes.info